December 20, 2011 Leave a comment
I know two recipes in one month–I’m crazy. I heard rumors of this recipe from my social networking friends and I didn’t believe it until I made them myself. This was the easiest “dessert” I have ever made, with the exception of fruit salad.
It’s the holidays and a cookie style recipe is clearly in order as people tend to bake their asses off this time of year. I do have issues with the sharing of cookies as I am generally grossed out by most people (it’s not you, it’s me). But if you are in the habit of distributing treats and you don’t know what to do now that there is a toddler loose in your house, these are super easy.
Honestly, I just made them while Scarlett played with refrigerator magnets and the dogs water bowl. But that’s a story for another time.
I started with a general recipe from allrecipes.com and revised it:
- 40 small mini pretzels*
- 20 chocolate covered caramel candies
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Arrange the pretzels in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place one chocolate covered caramel candy on each pretzel.
- Bake for 4 minutes. While the candy is warm, press the second pretzel on top of the candy to create a sandwich. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the sandwich. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Warnings: Do not warm the candies for longer than 4 minutes, otherwise they will take much longer to set.
Tip: Transfer the pretzels to a cooling rack after they are assembled.
In my world, there may be nothing better than a holiday treat that does not require measuring dry baking goods.
Original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-turtles/
If you liked this, check out my book: http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Skeptical-Woman-ebook/dp/B0055E6ZAU